Thursday, July 15, 2010

Heather

Hola todos! We're in Rurre, and I'm officially in love with this place. It's really great here. Everyone at the clinic is so amazing, and great to be around. We started making filters today. :) Christina, Emalani, Marandah and myself all washed sand. I know, I know, washing sand sounds strange. How about I explain this? Here goes:
1) shovel about six shovelfuls of gravely sand into a wheelbarrow.
2) have someone hold the hose over the wheelbarrow so that it is almost full.
3) The others then run their hands through it, trying to get all the fine dirt up into the water
4) After you finish doing that, dump the water out.
5) Rinse and Repeat (haha) four more times. It isn't sparkly clean, but since it's used with cement, it´s ok.
That´s all I can write now, and to those who read my other blog, I promise to write as soon as possible.
Adios,
Heather/ Carolina (kah-row-leen-a)

2 comments:

  1. Ha. I know exactly what you mean Heather... washing sand? this sounds like the silliest most pointless job ever... but just wait until you see the first clear water come through the water filter.... its is magical.
    Just think of all the people who will drink the clear clean water! You are making such a difference in their lives! bravo!
    hello to everyone!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom & I were so happy to hear that everything is going so well, It sounds like you are working hard, but your work is really making a difference in people's lives. We are so proud of you.
    I've got a question. Does the sand that you have washed, get put loosely inside a hard box that you make out of cement, or does the sand get mixed together with cement and when the cement hardens it is porous enough that the water poured through it comes out clean at the bottom?
    Keep up the good work, We are looking forward to you next posting.
    We love you
    Mom & Dad

    ReplyDelete