Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sophia

Wow I can't believe that we are leaving tomorrow.....the time has flown! I remember very clearly sitting in Jim's office, between my parents, just beginning to discuss the possibility that I might join him this summer on a journey to Bolivia. Over the months since then, I have thought a lot about why this journey is important for me, and why I am doing it. I am so excited to see and experience a culture and way of life different from my own. I feel that though Santa Barbara is incredible it is very sheltered, and I am ready and eager to experience something outside of our beautiful bubble. I want to help. I want to be able to see the joy in peoples faces when we help in the clinic, and when we provide them with clean water. I want to know that what I am doing is making a difference in someones life. I want to connect with people. That is one of the reasons for my focus I chose dance. I think that not only is it a great way to learn about the culture of Bolivia but learning some of the traditional Bolivian dances will provide a way for me to connect with the people without the need of language. I am so grateful to have the opportunity to go on this journey, and so very very excited to see what it has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment