Sunday, July 18, 2010

Thoughts from ¨Las Chicas¨

A compilation of handwritten thoughts from dinner this evening:

Uncallamaya was a place I will never forget. The people and their way of life opened my eyes to something I have never experienced before. -Ati Namvar

Uncallamaya made me realize how important our work on building filters really makes a difference in a community. I will never forget that visit. - Christina Tebbe

When we arrived in Uncallamaya we had a short meeting before meeting the children and their families. The first thing we talked about were the toilets. I never thought I would come accross a community that did not have flushing toilets and toilet paper as well as sinks and running water. These are things I do not take time to truly apprectiate. It was hard for me to accept that they live that way--most people in the world do. But after spending a day with the children I was able to enjoy my time there. -Lucia Nuechter

Our visit to Uncallamaya really opened my eyes to how a lot of the world lives. The Foundation has made such a difference in parts of the community. It shows me that there is hope for worldwide clean water. -Sydney Riegert

On our second day in Uncallamaya we went around the community to clean and fix family´s water filters. We saw people who didn´t use their filters for a few years because they didn´t know how to use them. One woman´s husband passed away eight years ago and she had to raise five children on her own even thouty she and her family had been drinking water full of bacteria from a creek down from their house. She smiled the whole time we were there. It made me realize that even though these families are in such tough situations, they weren´t worried at all. They were happier than most who have clean and healthly water. -Emalani Artiss

My experience in Uncallamaya is one that I will never forget. Words cannot express the joy I felt when I was with the kids. There was one girl, Gabriela, who I felt a connection with before speaking a word to her. She had a smile that lit up the room. She seemed confident fearless even and was incredibly beautiful. Though I have pictures of her, and though I hardly spoke a word to her, I will never forget her face and the beautiful way in which she carried herself in a situation that was, in several aspects, less than beautiful. -Sophia Phillips

Joy was everywhere in this rural community. Even when the children´s hands were shaking with cold and their thin clothes were soaked, they always had the spirit to play a vivacious game of volleyball or laugh at something so small. I watched the way those strong people struggle, but their bright smiles were what stayed in my memory. -Marandah

Uncallamaya. Wow, what an experience! From the writings above, I bet yáll have heard (or read) all about it. Here´s a link to my blog where I have my take on it.
www.peacefulcookies.blogspot.com
-Heather Harkness

2 comments:

  1. It is inspiring how apparently happy many of the people are despite the extremely challenging conditions that you are reporting. We are so glad that you all are able to help.
    By the way, have you asked Jim to take a photo of you reading the Santa Barbara Independent with a clearly exotic Bolivian background, so that you can get more widespread exposure for "El Puente" in Santa Barbara when you return? Also since Heather lost her camera, maybe Jim or Crister or someone will take a few photos of Heather with some of the people getting help at the clinic or building bio-sand water filters, etc. as a record of this life changing and deeply meaningful trip. Congratulations to all of you giving and getting this wonderful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such brilliant, wise, insightful reflections. there is some seriously deep work (and fabulous play) going on there. proud of all of you.
    much love. lisa (m's mom)

    ReplyDelete